Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Very Special Child

When Matthew was three I began to be suspicious that he was autistic.  His general practitioners all said he definitely was not.  I hung onto that and continued to seek help for Matthew.  Last summer we took Matthew in for some testing.  We were not surprised at the results, but what they called "it" put me into denial. 
Matthew is an autistic child. 

And it has taken me nearly a year to come to grips with this knowledge.  It is not easy caring for an autistic child.  ALL of the family sacrifices for Matthew.  Our family appears to breeze through on the outside, but under our roof and behind our walls, we ALL struggle with this challenge.    We are continuing to seek help for Matthew to make his life better.  And we are continuing to find new and better ways to cope.  Matthew is a special child with a special spirit that is noticed by ALL. 

6 comments:

Scrappycook said...

Good for you for continuing to seek care for your child. He is lucky to have you as a mother! How are your schools?

DeEtta said...

Matthew is a very special child with a special spirit. He is so lucky to have you and Dave as his parents. He is going to bless many lives and you will be blessed as well. You have our support and love.

Flock of Lambs said...

You do not know me, but my brother was good friends with David growing up (Ron D.). I have a son who we have thought the same thing since he was 2 1/2. We have also had the tests done but have come to the conclusion that he has ADHD, bordering on being Autistic. We have gone through all of the same ups and downs I am sure you have experienced, and in my years of going through this, the only thinkg you can do (which I have no doubt you do already for sure) is to love him. Yes, at times you may feel you are giving him more love and attention than the other children, but that is what he needs. Yes, it is all a sruggle, everyday, but when you look at the eternal perspective and see how much our Heavenly Father loves him, at least I see that as such a blessing that He chose to trust me with such a sweet spirit that is my Nathan. Hang in there, he will love you even more for it even if he cannot express it the way he wants to. I can tell you are a GREAT mom!

Deborah said...

Matthew is one of my favorite people ever. All who commented are right on...he is so blessed to have been born to you and David.

Flock of Lambs said...

Oh, and one other thing ... they say that Albert Einstein may have been autistic. That makes me smile ;)

TJ MAXX said...

I loved teaching his primary class because of him. He lends a great spiritual aspect to the class. I believe he is closer to our heavenly father than a lot of us.