Sunday, July 24, 2011

Weller on the trails...St. Edward State Park

St. Edward State Park was formerly used as a seminary for educating and developing young men for the priesthood in the catholic church.  The park sits on 316-acres of the most glorious, beautiful land in nearly the whole state of WA.  The property goes down to the water front of Lake Washington and is a playground to boaters and water planes alike.  The trails here are so peaceful and serene, I don't wonder that many of the seminary students found solace for their studies of God and scripture.  The school is a 90,000 sqr. ft. Romanesque Revival building that I'm sure holds many untold stories and mysteries.  (I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff).  The inside of the building is now in decay, but the outside is still something to behold. 
Our family was quite surprised at the magnificence of this place.  Everyone enjoyed our explore.  We hiked not quite 2 miles but a good portion of it was uphill.  It was worth it.  Along the way we found a hollowed out tree which Matthew thought was creepy and infested with cobwebs.  Matthew hates cobwebs!  Shaney got to practice some of her photography skills.  And we even found a place where we could rest by the lake.  There Ryan found a way to get himself wet head to toe, clothes and all.  His story was that he fell in while wading.  I'm not sure I believed this, but since he was all wet he might as well.  He is such a silly little boy.  The boys found a really fun playground at the top of another trail and spent time gathering up all the other children for a game of hide-and-seek.  They all had a really good time.  And I took some really cool pictures of the old seminary building.  Our family has a motto; Always leave wanting more.  Oh, you can be sure we will be back again!  


 (Shaney took this picture of Ry in the tire swing)
  

(Matth took this one of Shaney and Jared)



 (Shaney took this one of Me and Dave)




For more information:

1 comment:

RayNTin said...

I love that place! Great pictures.