I have been wanting to go back to school for at least 15 years, but every time I looked into it the timing just wasn't right. I actually was about 2 and 1/2 years into a Family Science Degree at BYU when I decided that I just really didn't enjoy what I was doing. I left BYU and went to Utah Valley State College to get a technical certificate. I loved the small atmosphere, but doing technical/office type work wasn't what I really wanted to do either. Over the Spring and Summer in 2015 I was given the opportunity to help design a restaurant and a medical clinic. I LOVED it! I thought, maybe it is time I go back to school and get that design degree. I looked to see what colleges had 4-year design programs nearby that wouldn't cost $13,000 per semester like WSU. I narrowed down where I wanted to go, applied, and got accepted. The timing was perfect. And I know Heavenly Father was helping me through the whole process of trying to figure out the logistics of mommy going back to school, paying for it, taking on a third Montessori campus, and being called back into the primary as the chorister all at the same time (all I can say is being organized has saved me so much stress). I am now going to school at Bellevue College's Interior Design program. I seriously love going to school again. I love what I am learning. And I am absolutely determined to get that Bachelor's degree!! I am basically starting all over. I do have several credits that will transfer over from my previous college years, thank goodness! Here's a little secret: I have always been afraid that I would discover that I really didn't have what it took to be a designer. I once had a friend try to go through an Interior Design program (and she was really creative) but she was told by a professor to quit because she would never make it as a designer. That always scared me that I would be crushed like that. But I was recently given the biggest compliment EVER! A professor told me that they could tell I was designer material! That made me beyond happy to hear that kind of confirmation. So onward and upward. Here, here to new adventures for Weller Town!
What we are is more important than what we have been. And what we can become is more important than what we are. Dr. Brent Barlow
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
I'm a College Girl Now!
I have been wanting to go back to school for at least 15 years, but every time I looked into it the timing just wasn't right. I actually was about 2 and 1/2 years into a Family Science Degree at BYU when I decided that I just really didn't enjoy what I was doing. I left BYU and went to Utah Valley State College to get a technical certificate. I loved the small atmosphere, but doing technical/office type work wasn't what I really wanted to do either. Over the Spring and Summer in 2015 I was given the opportunity to help design a restaurant and a medical clinic. I LOVED it! I thought, maybe it is time I go back to school and get that design degree. I looked to see what colleges had 4-year design programs nearby that wouldn't cost $13,000 per semester like WSU. I narrowed down where I wanted to go, applied, and got accepted. The timing was perfect. And I know Heavenly Father was helping me through the whole process of trying to figure out the logistics of mommy going back to school, paying for it, taking on a third Montessori campus, and being called back into the primary as the chorister all at the same time (all I can say is being organized has saved me so much stress). I am now going to school at Bellevue College's Interior Design program. I seriously love going to school again. I love what I am learning. And I am absolutely determined to get that Bachelor's degree!! I am basically starting all over. I do have several credits that will transfer over from my previous college years, thank goodness! Here's a little secret: I have always been afraid that I would discover that I really didn't have what it took to be a designer. I once had a friend try to go through an Interior Design program (and she was really creative) but she was told by a professor to quit because she would never make it as a designer. That always scared me that I would be crushed like that. But I was recently given the biggest compliment EVER! A professor told me that they could tell I was designer material! That made me beyond happy to hear that kind of confirmation. So onward and upward. Here, here to new adventures for Weller Town!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are going to be great. I love the designer skills.
Post a Comment