Camano Island
Today we are at the beach as a family. We have all been waiting to have a beautiful, warm day to visit one of our favorite places. The boys are playing across the bay on logs while Shaney and I sit reading and writing quietly to ourselves. It is warm and breezy and pleasant. I could live here. As I have been sitting I have watched the tide go out. And I hear the boys shout, "look mommy, I found a live crab", or "look at this shell I found in the shallows". They find these treasures every year but it always seems like a new discovery to them. I muse to myself how cute my boys are no matter their age. And I smile. And I think to myself how lucky I am to be sitting next to my beautiful daughter right now. And what a treasure she is to me. I too want to call out, "hey, look at this treasure I have" to whomever will listen. When she was little we were in the season of high tide. When the water in the sound covers and protects its delicate treasures. As Shaney has grown and become more independent the tide has receeded and started to go out to sea. We are now in a new season of low tide. And she will no longer need the protection of high tide. She will move away from the ebb and flow and find new ground. And she will be okay. And I will survive. And I will continue the ebb and flow of the tide, swelling and protecting until one day, all my treasures are ready to brave the elements alone. And they will be okay. And I will survive. What wonderful, amazing treasures I have in my tide.
No comments:
Post a Comment