At home with my treasures I smell the amazing basil, fresh-picked this morning. I inhale deep, hold my breath for a moment, and let it out in a satisfied sigh. I reach down to the bottom and pull a bundle of the most amazing ripe and juicy, round and yellow tomatoes from my market bag. They were nestled among the stems of Tiger Lilies mixed with other summer blooms artistically arranged in a very full bouquet. I just couldn't resist. I LOVE the smell of Lilies. I fill a humble white pitcher with water and in they go, placed in the center of the table. The bright red color of the squatty and flat sweet peppers beckons to be taken out of the bag next. I chuckle to myself. They are very cute. They need to be washed up, but I can already feel my mouth watering. A perfect companion to the green beans. They find a place on the counter top as well. Last, but not least, is a warm bag of fresh popped kettle corn. Yumm! It won't last long. Half the bag was already eaten at the market by the little boys. With my market bag now empty I scramble to the closet and put on my apron. It is time to make dinner. I can hardly wait to fill my mouth with the wonderful tastes of the market today.
Snohomish has such a charming Farmer's Market. The little boys and I wait all week for Thursday to come around. They love the bands that play all afternoon and the honey booth where they get honey sticks for a quarter each. I love the produce, the bakery, and the crafty booths. There is something therapeutic about going to market, inspecting the goods with sight, touch and smell, and exchanging currency for what you are sure is the better deal for you. The market is closed for the winter. But you can be sure, we will be back next year.

No comments:
Post a Comment