Monday, July 21, 2014

Memory Monday

When Dave and I were first married we got into some sort of disagreement.  Dave had become rather impatient with me.  I was pregnant with Shaney, sick as all get-out (I couldn't move without throwing up), and so miserable.  The whole morning-sickness thing really took both of us by surprise.  Anyway, Dave was a very busy man and would often leave to go take care of other important stuff and after our disagreement, he left.  I assumed it was because he had something he had to take care of for school, work, or his calling.  I didn't see him for an hour or so.  When he came back, he came into the bedroom where I was laying as still as I could and he opened the blinds of the bedroom window.  What I saw brought tears to my eyes.

As a little girl, my daddy would always give me a 2 foot x 2 foot garden space for the summer.  I got to pick anything I wanted that would fit into that space.  I always chose the delicate flowering plant called Impatiens.  And ALWAYS light pink and white.  I would till the ground, dig neat little rows, and carefully plant 16 - 20, pink, white, pink, white.  And I would water them every day.  This was my little garden for many years.  Those summer days of taking care of my own little garden is why I love gardening to this day.

Back to married life and that day when Dave opened those blinds, I looked through teary eyes and right outside my window I saw a small garden of pink and white Impatiens.  Dave then turns to me and says, "I will try to never be Impatien with you again".  Little did he know of my fond memories of gardening with my dad and pink and white Impatiens.  It is a gesture that I will never forget.  And to this day, I have a pink and white Impatien garden outside my bedroom window.  Impatiens is a virtue, you know!

1 comment:

Emily's World said...

Oh my gosh I love it! Such a sweet memory!