Friday, October 16, 2009

And I Thought My Life Was Already CRAZY!!!



For the past several years we have been dealing with several serious, costly, and ofttimes complicated medical issues with Matthew. It has been an extremely long, exhausting, and sometimes frustrating journey. It has truly been a burden on the whole family, but we have dealt with it the best we can. We've spent so much of our energy and resources trying to deal with Matthew that our other children, we have realized, have been much neglected. We have decided that it is now time to take care of the issues Ryan is having.
Ryan is a very busy and active little boy that has a very hard time sitting still and being quiet. This makes it very difficult for me. Especially those frequent and almost constant times where I have to deal with Matthew's needs. This has added to my burdens tremendously. So two weeks ago we took Ryan to see a Naturopathic Doctor. (Why did we choose this option? Because we have seen what conventional medication can do to a body. Not the path we wanted to take Ryan in.) The doctor took a blood sample and sent it off to a lab for some testing. Ryan is apparently allergic to EVERYTHING. There are so many foods on the list that he is allergic to. Most of them the basic food items that you wouldn't give any second thoughts to. These foods, the doctor said, are most likely the problem with Ryan's behavior. As I sat there in her office listening to how we will have to change...everything, it made me feel incredibly overwhelmed and unqualified and I just wanted to cry. How am I going do this? I now have two children with two different special dietary needs. My life all of the sudden became even more complicated. LIKE I NEED THAT!!!
Close my eyes, one foot out, here I go.....

3 comments:

Scrappycook said...

Yikes!! So sorry - allergies are so stressful and so much work! Good luck finding a way to handle all of his new needs. Hopefully the result will be a healthier, happier child and that is always worth it.

Bridget said...

Wow. Best wishes. Seriously.

DeEtta said...

Oh Kathy, my heart goes out to you. However, it will be wonderful to see Ryan more calm and enjoying life more. We just don't know how he has been feeling because it has been normal for him.
You will be in our thoughts and prayers as you go through yet another transition in your family. You are loved.