Friday, January 21, 2011

Liberation, if only temporary.

This little boy is very persistent.  In autistic terms we call it 'obsessive'.  If Matthew wants something he will badger and beg and cry and tantrum until he 1) wants something else or 2) figures out he can't have it... or 3) both.  This can last days, weeks and even months.  I kid you not.  IT IS VERY TIRING.  But, we are always looking for fun ways to distract this persistent little boy, even if it is only temporary.  Because it gives us a much needed break from the tantrums.  So today I was at my wits end and with my ears ringing from the tantruming, I grabbed Shaney's brush and hairspray and began doing crazy things with Matthew's hair.  And, voila, music to my ringing ears, Matthew began laughing.  He thought it was soooo funny.  Thank goodness for silly acts of desperation that bring out my sweet, laughing little boy who is trapped inside his autistic body.  Sometimes a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do.

2 comments:

DeEtta said...

Whatever works!!!! Glad you were able to calm him. I am always calmed when I get my hair played with.

Just another Mom said...

I am a little embarrassed to say what works to bring our Joseph back to reality during a tantrum. I too use humor, boy humor that is. Using humor to distract obsessive badgering to get what they want is a great thing for those parents that can master it. Good Job mom! And the hair style rocks!