Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It is what it is...

There is a woman who lives in our ward named Donna.  I love this woman.  She has such a sweet, tender spirit and such a powerful testimony of the Gospel.  I love to listen to her during Fast & Testimony Meeting.  I would like to be able to give my heart to the Savior as fearlessly as she gives hers.

Years ago Donna directed a multi-stake dance festival.  Shaney was privileged to be a part of it and it was a wonderful experience for her.  Many hours a week during many months were spent in preparing and practicing for this major production.  Nearing the end of this experience was grueling for our youth, although they would say exhilarating.  The parents only saw their children come home and collapse into what we all thought was a near coma from overenthusiastic dedication.  On the night before the production our kids had to travel up north quite a distance for a dress rehearsal that lasted well into the late hours of the night.  The kids all got home extremely late and were then asked to turn around not more than a few hours later to travel back up north the next morning for the last dress rehearsal before the show.  I was NOT happy about this.  To say the least, anyone who inconveniences my kid is an enemy.  I am fiercely protective of my children.  Because the director was in my ward and I knew her, I confronted her about my objection and frustration.  This meek woman who quietly displays so much power looked me straight in the eye and said, "Kathy, it is what it is." And then she walked away.  I quickly found out that I had absolutely NO control of the situation. 

Okay, I admit, I LOVE to be in control.  I sometimes think that I am entitled to control a situation to my liking, especially if it benefits others as well.  And when I cannot control the situation I tend to allow myself to feel angry.  That day I was terribly offended by Donna's curt response to my complaint.  But in truth, she taught me a lesson I will never forget.  She taught me that when things are out of our control, the only control we have is to just accept it and move on.

Over the years more and more things have come in to my life of which I have no control over.  I have spent much time being angry about those things.  I have wasted a lot of time practicing this bad habit.  But as more difficult things come into my life I have had no choice but the choice to find comfort in that curt response given me years back.  I'm not perfect at it, but I still try.  And if I can just say it and walk away then I have spared not only an unproductive emotion but my dignity as well.  Life is unpredictable!  Life is unfair!  Life is frustrating!  Life is hard!  "It is what it is"...

2 comments:

DeEtta said...

I like that "it is what it is". Sometimes life would be earier to handle if we used that as our motto. I am going to have to remember that when I get frustrated, which is often.

Bonnie-Jean said...

I'm going to adopt that. It'll be very useful for me especially considering the interesting and unique circumstances I come across while being married to the Army. Thank you for sharing this small phrase of wisdom. :)